By : Sue Harmon, Board past president
More than 90 ForestWatchers attended this year’s Fall Retreat, coming together to stay abreast of current management issues in the Chattahoochee Oconee National Forest and to have a good time while doing it! Fellowship, inspiration, and good food alongside the beautiful Lake Trahlyta at Vogel State Park made for an event that helped keep us all educated and motivated to continue our work to preserve, protect, and restore this forest that we love.
If you couldn’t make it this year, we hope you’ll consider joining us next year. Save the date: October 10, 2020, and check with our office about accommodation options. Consider making a weekend of it, so you can join the Friday evening potluck and the Saturday evening campfire and music.
Highlights from this year include:
- A big picture review of current forest issues by our Executive Director, Jess Riddle
- Two informative presentations by our partners at Southern Environmental Law Center
- Four panelists sharing their environmental advocacy work
- Memorable role playing when Jess morphed into a Forest Service Ranger just by the change of a hat!
- BBQ slow cooked on site
- Delicious crock pot entrees donated by numerous volunteers
- A choice of three afternoon naturalist outings or a film screening of Burned: Are Trees the New Coal?
- Saturday evening live music around the campfire
- Raffle and silent auction prizes – some great bargains were had – that’s for sure!
We thanked all the many Retreat volunteers by name in a recent email alert – over half of those in attendance helped in one way or another! Yes, volunteers are the heart of this organization and without them, this retreat would not have happened.
We would now like to take this opportunity to thank once more all the sponsors and contributors, who donated upfront help make this event happen:
Ben Cash & Vicki Miller
Tom & Sally Colkett
Tom & Jeanette Crawford
Mark & Lucy Dickerson
Ted & Lynda Doll
Andy & Melinda Edwards
Robin & Janet Hitner
Shepherd & Sarah Howell
Denny & Lois Rhodes
Doug & Elaine Riddle
Jan & Dennis Stansell
Marilyn & Ted Stapleton
University of North Georgia Foundation
Lloyd & Bonnie Unnold
Jim & Patricia Walker
Applewood Pottery (Jami Pederson)
Neill Herring & Sally Bethea
Pamela and Christopher Martin
Northeast Georgia Locally Grown
Stover Mountain Orchard (David Govus)
Cal & Sandi Tax
Speakers & Hike Leaders: